The Darkest Bloom (Shadowscent 1)

by P M Freestone | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by rainbow3 of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 10/24/2019
Journal Entry 1 by rainbow3 from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, October 24, 2019
Book burble: …to be added…

THE DARKEST BLOOM (Shadowscent 1) by P M FREESTONE (Feb 2019) | ISBN: 1407192159 / 9781407192154 (UK PB) | Publisher: Scholastic

This actual copy is an UK PUBLICATION - UNCORRECTED BOOK PROOF, see inset photo.

Journal Entry 2 by wingemmejowing at Cortland, New York USA on Tuesday, November 19, 2019
Thank you so much! I've never head of this series, but it is an interesting concept. I'm curious to give it a go.

Journal Entry 3 by wingemmejowing at Cortland, New York USA on Friday, December 27, 2019
Aside from some typical debut-novel stumbles, I was swept away by this enchanting fantasy.

The biggest world-building choice I admired was the author's decision to create a society with a strong olfactory culture. From that choice, she instantly shifted focus from our typically visual culture, making scent as powerful as image and exploring that impact on everything from religion to figures of speech. Even while typing this, I had to stop myself from using a visual term to discuss a predominantly olfactory experience! It was a wonderful, bold choice that I rarely see fantasy writers make. (I expect to see that more in sci-fi, where having a culture reliant on different sensory input is more likely.)

Although most of our characters feel a bit basic, they are compelling enough to carry the fairly straightforward quest-based plot. Rakel is the only one who feels solidly developed, although Ash improved as the story build his character. There were a lot of character-crafting decisions that felt like "safe" calls and relied on genre expectations. Rarely did a character's decisions or backstory fall outside typical YA fantasy tropes. I suspect that Freestone will build on these with time and confidence, given her willingness to push world-building boundaries.

Journal Entry 4 by wingemmejowing at Cortland, New York USA on Friday, February 21, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (2/21/2020 UTC) at Cortland, New York USA

Added to the Wrap It Up bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by judypsu88 at Media, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, February 25, 2020
Caught in the First Sentence Wrap it Up Book Box