In This House of Brede

by Rumer Godden | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/23/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 23, 2019
I got this softcover from Better World Books, for another release copy. This book is one of my all-time favorites - and one of those books that I tend to keep getting more copies of so as to have some to give or lend to friends (yes, even pre-BookCrossing!).

The story is a lovely, poignant, and sometimes challenging one, about a successful businesswoman's search for something more - via a vocation as a cloistered nun. The book deals with her challenges (and a shocking tragedy from her past) as well as with the vocations or lack thereof of several of the other nuns, and presents a moving and memorable view of life in the cloister. While I don't always agree with the religious views of the characters, their story continues to entertain and touch me.

[There's a good 1975 TV-movie adaptation of the book, starring Diana Rigg.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, November 16, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (11/16/2019 UTC) at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

I'm taking this book to today's BookCrossing meetup at the Panera at Porter Square in Cambridge; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

Journal Entry 3 by wingIddyluwing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, November 16, 2019
Picked this up at today's meeting of the Boston Bookcrossers in Cambridge, after having it "sold" to me by Gory :) Thanks!