Close to Shore: The Terrifying Shark Attacks of 1916

by Michael Capuzzo | History |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/15/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, October 15, 2019
I got this slightly-battered softcover at a local Savers thrift shop, for another release copy. It's about a series of deadly shark attacks on swimmers at New Jersey beaches in 1916.

I found this a very good read - not just a shark-attack story but a mini-history of the time and place, with other current events (the escalation of WWI, the threat of polio in the cities, labor issues) mingled with the first hints of the shark threat. There's quite a bit of information on sharks as well, including modern-day research on shark attacks that is compared to the beliefs at the time. And there's a fair amount of background on the families involved - those of the victims and of the shark-hunters - that, I thought, set the scene perfectly for the terror and shock of the attacks.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Town Hall, Kendall Rd in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (10/16/2019 UTC) at Town Hall, Kendall Rd in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, in a planter near the town hall; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 October Spooktacular release challenge. ***