All Over Creation

by Ruth Ozeki | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingpenelopewanderswing of Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on 10/15/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, October 15, 2019
Picked this up from the swap shelf a while ago...

Journal Entry 2 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, October 17, 2019
I picked this up off the swap shelf in our school library. I read My Year of Meat by this author years ago and was blown away. Here this is perhaps more story than education, although the message about scientific developments in agriculture do come out loud and clear. There are numerous other themes here though too - between radicalism, activism, opportunism, the relationships between parents and their children, abuse, fertility, etc etc.
One thing that irritates me when reading is when I get a big billboard warning of impending disaster in the narrative - yes, the whole story is about the growing disaster which is the modern agribusiness - but here it’s more as concerns the characters... watch out, what comes next will be awful. My reaction to that is to put the book down and walk away a bit. Perhaps it’s meant to keep the reader racing through the last pages to the end. I didn’t need that, and as mentioned, it irked me.
Otherwise I found the book very moving and well-written.
The book was read between Switzerland and London.