Gone are the Leaves

by Anne Donovan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Aziyade999 of Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon France on 10/14/2019
Journal Entry 1 by Aziyade999 from Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Monday, October 14, 2019
I couldn't put it down! Nice tale of medieval Scotland and France, told partly in Scots, but don't be put off, it's very readable. It ended a bit suddenly without a real conclusion, but maybe there will be a Part 2? Interesting that Feilamort doesn't get chapters to himself like other characters do, so he remains an unknown quantity. Maybe he will be filled out in Part 2 too!

Journal Entry 2 by wingvaga-bondewing at Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Sunday, December 01, 2019
Sorry it took me so long to journal this book. I got it during our October meeting with littrajunkie, and was waiting for an official release before catching it. But it doesn't really matter... Intriguing book, will read it soon.

Journal Entry 3 by wingvaga-bondewing at Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Thursday, January 09, 2020
A little difficult to read the parts told in Scots, but you get used to it very quickly. The story is catchy, with lots of plotting and a helpless young couple caught in the middle of it. Interesting discovery.

Journal Entry 4 by wingvaga-bondewing at Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (1/28/2020 UTC) at Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon France

Goes to Delphi_Reader as a January RABCK.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Wednesday, February 12, 2020
Thank you very much, your beautiful bookmark, postcard and this interesting book arrived safely in Delphi today!

Journal Entry 6 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Saturday, July 25, 2020
This was an enjoyable novel. To be honest, the story was based on many farfetched plot elements while one could guess many of the developments very early in the book, but somehow the narration was engaging enough for me to want to see how the author will weave all the different threads (pun intented).

Anne Donovan doesn't create the more original characters here, but she makes especially Deirdre likeable enough (along with Feilamort and a few other people), to care about her. The descriptions of the characters' feelings and of nature made the book quite pleasing, the different points of view added variety, while the use of Scottish language on Deirdre's parts is a nice touch too. I think that the book, based on some hyperboles already from the very beginning, got too farfetched towards the end, although I enjoyed the quicker action as matters came to a head.

There are some things remaining unsolved and some hints that suggest there might (or should) be a sequel to this novel. The end was too sharp to be an end of the story and left me somehow unsatisfied.

All in all a very decent and quick read.

PS: I'm Greek and far from fluent in English, but didn't find the Scots slag that much difficult. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's fine after a couple of pages.

Thank you Aziyade999 and vaga-bonde for sharing!

Journal Entry 7 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at by Post, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 31, 2020

Released 7 mos ago (8/30/2020 UTC) at by Post, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Gone are the Leaves now travels to meet the winner or decoy of the Mail a Garden Sweeps - July/August 2020 Round!

Good Luck Little book and Don't forget to write your news from time to time!

Journal Entry 8 by winggaboydwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, October 20, 2020
Received today, along with a handmade, leather bookmark & card. The card is an UNICEF Polio card, made in Sweeden

Released 1 mo ago (3/6/2021 UTC) at New Regent Street - details in notes in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Released while going to Victoria Square