Carol of the Bells

by Rob Smales | Horror |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/13/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, October 13, 2019
I got this slim softcover, signed to "GoryDetails" by the author, at the Merrimack Valley Halloween Book Festival in Haverhill MA. It's a nice little chiller about an American couple who are seeking a remote English village in hopes of finding "authentic" holiday traditions instead of the overwhelming commercialization elsewhere. Yeah, this is going to go well. {wry grin}

Even without the skulls-in-the-bells hint on the cover, it's clear early on that our hapless tourists are putting themselves in harm's way. [Oh, sure, in real life people probably would not assume that the locals in a tiny hamlet in the back of beyond would actually be murderous, but seriously, don't these people read ANY horror stories?]

While it's not a surprise that the plot turns into "yes, you WILL join us for our solstice ritual", the execution is neatly done and has some nicely chilling aspects, and lots of tension as to whether or not either of the protagonists will make it out alive!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Nashua Field in Windham, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (12/10/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Nashua Field in Windham, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this rather soggy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 December holiday release challenge. ***