The Ghost

by Robert Harris | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 10/9/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 09, 2019
This is one of the two books I bought from the AgeUK charity shop in Starbeck this afternoon. I chose it because I've enjoyed a few other exciting novels by this author and because only a couple of hours before coming across it I'd read an enthusiastic recommendation for it in Nick Hornby's Stuff I've Been Reading, a collection of some of his magazine columns.

From Google Overview: "The greater part of the action is on Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts, where Lang has been holed up in the holiday home of his billionaire American publisher in order to turn out his memoirs on a deadline. Other scenes are set in Notting Hill, New York and Whitehall. Lang's former press aide Mike McAra has been struggling to ghost his master's memoirs but, as the novel opens, McAra drowns when he apparently falls off the Woods Hole ferry. The fictional narrator of The Ghost, whose name is never revealed, is hired to replace him. (His girlfriend walks out on him over his willingness to take the job: "She felt personally betrayed by him; she used to be a party member.") He soon suspects foul play and stumbles across evidence of possible motive, buried in Lang's Cambridge past. Having located what may be the lethal secret, the replacement ghostwriter begins to fear for his own safety."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 08, 2019
Although I still haven't read this, I've decided to release it to a friend with Christmas Greetings. He might appreciate it more than me. If he's already read it, then no doubt he'll find a good home for it instead!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Ripley, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 09, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (12/9/2019 UTC) at Ripley, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Carrying Christmas and New Year Greetings to a BookCrossing friend. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 18, 2019
Thank you Nu-Knees. I've not read any Robert Harris before so I look forward to slotting this one into Plum's "What to read thread" sometime in 2020.