Before We Were Yours

by Lisa Wingate | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Queen72 of Hobbs, New Mexico USA on 10/9/2019
Journal Entry 1 by Queen72 from Hobbs, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, October 09, 2019
If you love historical fiction then this is a must read! This is a story about children who were stolen from their families and sold into adoption. It’s hard to believe that an organization like the Tennessee Children's Home Society existed for so long. Dual time lines were beautifully woven together to deliver a heartbreaking story.

Journal Entry 2 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Wednesday, June 03, 2020
Arrived in the mail today. Thanks for the tag.

Journal Entry 3 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Sunday, August 09, 2020
An excellent but sad piece of historical fiction of a real-life scandal. I was not aware of Tennesee Children's Home Society orphanage that operated for decades in the kidnapping of poor children and selling them to wealthy families. While in the home's care, the children were mistreated and abused. Many even died. It is hard to imagine how this was able to operate unchecked for so long. The children's names were changed and records were sealed so it was nearly impossible for birth parents and children to find each other. The records were finally opened to the victims in 1995. For many, it was too late.

Journal Entry 4 by dabercro at Wish list tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, August 13, 2020

Released 10 mos ago (8/13/2020 UTC) at Wish list tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Wishlist tag sent to echode in WA.

Journal Entry 5 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, August 20, 2020
Arrived safely, thank you for the tag!
This book was recommended by a co-worker when she saw me reading "Sold on a Monday". Looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 6 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, March 05, 2021
I'm normally a non-fiction fan for historic events as it otherwise feels like a re-enactment/dramatization. But the jumps between past & present, and terrific portrayals of the childhood thought process acted as a necessary buffer for the appalling actions of the "orphanage" and fallout; I don't think I could've stomached the story had it been presented as just-the-facts.
There's an unnecessary romance, and "colored" folks and "Chinamen" are juxtaposed to incessant "blond" and "blue eye" references to propel the mid-century atmosphere. I would still recommend.

Journal Entry 7 by kirstykat at Potters Bar, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 01, 2021
Can't wait to read this! A kind RABCK from Echode.
Thank You so much!