The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat

by Edward Kelsey Moore | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by kiki66 of Gauting, Bayern Germany on 10/7/2019
Journal Entry 1 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, October 07, 2019
Told with wit, charm and heart, this debut novel set in small-town Indiana from the 1960s to the present day will appeal to anyone who loved The Help or Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

Pull up a chair at Big Earl's diner and meet the 'Supremes': three women from Plainview, Indiana, who've been best friends since their high-school days in the Sixties.

Clarice is a pious wife and mother struggling with her husband's infidelity; Barbara Jean must confront the tragic reverberations of a youthful love affair; and Odette, whose fearlessness has saved her friends many times, now faces a terrifying situation of her own.

Come join the inseparable trio as they share the juiciest gossip, the occasional tear, and the most uproarious laughter at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat.

Journal Entry 2 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, October 07, 2019
I read the book in German first - since it was offered in the German Forum.
But I liked the book so much I decided I had to have my own copy, and this of course in the original language.
The German book had a totally non-fitting title (Mrs Roosevelt and the wonder at Earl's... ) there's no wonder happening at Earl's and Mrs Roosevelt is there but she is in no way the main person.

But as I said, I loved the book, he got me from the moment Odette met her mother. Then I knew - THIS is my kind of novel... ;-)
It was just the right mixture of being quirky, lovable characters and good to read stories.

Ring (!)
1. Icila (F)
2. penelopewanders (CH)

back home to Kiki please

Journal Entry 3 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (11/27/2019 UTC) at Gauting, Bayern Germany

Off to France - enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, November 30, 2019
The book was waiting safely at my neighbour's while I was visiting family in Île de France.
Thank you too for the label in german and the American bookmark, I love it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, December 30, 2019
Didn't work for me although I did love The Help and Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe..

Journal Entry 6 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, January 02, 2020

Released 6 mos ago (1/2/2020 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to the Swiss Alps. I wish you the best for 2020 penelopewanders.

Journal Entry 7 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, January 07, 2020
This arrived here in the Swiss Alps today- thanks so much for sending (and for making it available, Kiki...) Not sure if or where it heads next? Meanwhile I wish you all a delightful new year with amazing adventures, both on and off the page.

Journal Entry 8 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, January 24, 2020
This is here as a bookcrossing ring and I really had no idea what it was going to be about. As it was made available by someone with whom I seem to generally share a taste in books, I figured it was an easy choice to sign up for it. Once again, I was not disappointed. I feel a bit as though I've been through the wringer though - the various characters, but especially the "Supremes" are so vivid and moving, and their stories, told with such humor, are actually quite painful. It took me a little time to get into this, but once in I was all in. A very good read.
I see this heads home next. I will be quite cheeky and hang on to it so that others in my household can read it too, so it might be a few more weeks before it starts its journey back home. Thanks for sending it my way.

Journal Entry 9 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (6/2/2020 UTC) at Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg Germany

I took advantage of my husband visiting his brother in Germany to finally send this home. Sorry it took months... Thanks for making it available. I hope you are yours are all well and healthy in these crazy quarantimes!

Journal Entry 10 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, June 03, 2020
and here it is.. home again!