Secrets of The Fearless

by Elizabeth Laird | Children's Books | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 10/7/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 07, 2019
I found this on the used bookshelves in the GP's surgery when we went down for our annul flu jabs this morning. I don't know why I chose it, given that it's published by Macmillan Children's Books and it's many, many decades since I was a child . . . Looks like fun, though . . .

From Google Overview: "When 12-year-old John Barr is forced to join the navy his life takes a dangerous turn. As he trains to become a powder monkey on board the mighty HMS Fearless, he soon learns that the ship hides many secrets. Thrust into a sinister world of spies and covert operations, John must go ashore accompanied by fellow shipmate Kit. But when their mission goes awry, the friends are abandoned and watch from the shore as the Fearless sail away. Can they now survive behind enemy lines?"

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 20, 2020
Well, surprisingly, I enjoyed that. I wasn't sure at first, being something like 65 years older than its target audience, but this tale of spies, smugglers and shipboard adventures in the Napoleonic Wars soon grew on me.

Released 4 mos ago (2/19/2020 UTC) at City of Leeds Museum Café and LFL in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

This is one of the books I'll make available when a group of local BookCrossers get together to talk and swap books. If it's not taken home by one of us, then it'll be left on the permanent bookshelves within the cafe to find a new reader that way . . .

Nearly two million people around the world give their books a unique BookCrossing IDentity number (BCID) before sending them out to find new readers. Since the start of the scheme in April 2001 over thirteen million such books have been put into circulation. This is one of them!

Our hope is that we can track the progress of our books once they've left our hands - and that's possible if finders like you visit the website, key in the BCID and leave a comment, however long or short. It's fun, it doesn't have to cost anything, although the site always appreciates donations towards running costs, and you can remain anonymous if you wish. You don't have to join but if you do you'll be able to number and track your own books!

Journal Entry 4 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 22, 2020
This looks exactly the kind of book I would have read and enjoyed as a boy. As a Patrick O'Brian and David Donachie fan, I think I'll enjoy it as 59 year old too.

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 01, 2020
Loved it. Great fun.