Secrets of The Fearless

by Elizabeth Laird | Children's Books |
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 10/7/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 7, 2019
I found this on the used bookshelves in the GP's surgery when we went down for our annual flu jabs this morning. I don't know why I chose it, given that it's published by Macmillan Children's Books and it's many, many decades since I was a child . . . Looks like fun, though . . .

From Google Overview: "When 12-year-old John Barr is forced to join the navy his life takes a dangerous turn. As he trains to become a powder monkey on board the mighty HMS Fearless, he soon learns that the ship hides many secrets. Thrust into a sinister world of spies and covert operations, John must go ashore accompanied by fellow shipmate Kit. But when their mission goes awry, the friends are abandoned and watch from the shore as the Fearless sail away. Can they now survive behind enemy lines?"

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 20, 2020
Well, surprisingly, I enjoyed that. I wasn't sure at first, being something like 65 years older than its target audience, but this tale of spies, smugglers and shipboard adventures in the Napoleonic Wars soon grew on me.

Released 2 yrs ago (2/19/2020 UTC) at City of Leeds Museum Café and LFL in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

This is one of the books I'll make available when a group of local BookCrossers get together to talk and swap books. If it's not taken home by one of us, then it'll be left on the permanent bookshelves within the cafe to find a new reader that way . . .

Nearly two million people around the world give their books a unique BookCrossing IDentity number (BCID) before sending them out to find new readers. Since the start of the scheme in April 2001 over thirteen million such books have been put into circulation. This is one of them!

Our hope is that we can track the progress of our books once they've left our hands - and that's possible if finders like you visit the website, key in the BCID and leave a comment, however long or short. It's fun, it doesn't have to cost anything, although the site always appreciates donations towards running costs, and you can remain anonymous if you wish. You don't have to join but if you do you'll be able to number and track your own books!

Journal Entry 4 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 22, 2020
This looks exactly the kind of book I would have read and enjoyed as a boy. As a Patrick O'Brian and David Donachie fan, I think I'll enjoy it as 59 year old too.

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 1, 2020
Loved it. Great fun.

Journal Entry 6 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 31, 2020

Released 2 yrs ago (7/31/2020 UTC) at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

One of several books I've been thinking of sending you for ages now. Read it or pass it on. it's up to you.

Journal Entry 7 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 4, 2020
What a lovely and welcome surprise along with its friends. I'm not sure that I would ever have picked it up myself but will certainly give it a go, if nothing else my daughter would like to read it as it looks like it could be right up her street. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 8 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 16, 2022
Now I should point out that I'm at least 40 years past the true target audience for this book but I'm a sucker for naval yarns. It's a quick read with a plot that rattles along at a decent pace which whilst it requires a bit of a leap of imagination is at least credible; John and Kit's characters are reasonably developed; the historical details are interesting without being too detailed as are the on-ship elements. So, whilst this book probably won't live that long in the memory it did provide me with a decent piece of escapism, that I can imagine younger readers enjoying.

Journal Entry 9 by 4evagreen at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Released 2 wks ago (8/4/2022 UTC) at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as a sort of Brucie bonus. I hope that you haven't already read it. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, August 5, 2022
Thanks for this surprise book! It looks like fun