In Defense of Food

by Michael Pollan | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1594201455 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Matty of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 10/3/2019
Journal Entry 1 by Matty from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, October 3, 2019
A fantastic look at the Standard American Diet (SAD!) and how it’s making people less healthy, even as people are more knowledgeable about nutrition in general.

Journal Entry 2 by Matty at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, October 3, 2019

Released 4 yrs ago (10/4/2019 UTC) at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I’ll bring this to our meeting at the OBCZ tonight to pass on or leave on the shelf.

Journal Entry 3 by gypsysmom at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, October 4, 2019
I've read a few other books by Michael Pollan but not this one. I was interested when Matty brought it to our lovely little meet-up but I sat back to let others have a chance. I must have waited at least 5 minutes before I claimed it. Thanks Matty and thanks for all your help getting the books registered and on the shelf.

Journal Entry 4 by gypsysmom at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, November 25, 2020
Michael Pollan writes about food and nutrition the same way Farley Mowat wrote about animals i.e. with passion, insight, and definite opinions. Mowat certainly angered people during his writing life and I have no doubt that some people take offense at the things Pollan writes. As a food scientist, a class of researchers that Pollan criticizes, I guess I could have been among those detractors. However, I acknowledge that a lot of the criticism Pollan makes is deserved even though I don't completely disavow my previous employment.

The title almost seems like an oxymoron. Who would be opposed to food? Food is essential, isn't it? Pollan suggests that the modern diet (at least in North America) is "no longer, strictly speaking, food at all, and how we're consuming it -- in the car, in front of the TV, and, increasingly, alone -- is not really eating..." (quoted from page 7). For this turn of events he blames nutrition science and the food industry. Nutrition (or food) science comes in for a lot of finger-pointing because scientists look for molecules inside food that could cause effects on our bodies instead of looking at a big picture or more holistic view. I agree that some of the studies that have been published over the past number of years go to ridiculous lengths to draw conclusions based upon a certain nutrient. When those studies get picked up by main stream media all of a sudden everyone is buying acai berries or (even worse) bars with acai berries in them along with a ton of sugar and fat. It is especially worrisome when the studies are done by people who work for a certain industry or who receive funding from manufacturers. Pollan, and another writer I read regularly, Marion Nestle, regularly showcase studies that are biased by the funding they have received. In defence of my former career, most researchers I know would never consider biasing their results to benefit a funder and most would usually state that their findings do not establish that eating a particular food or nutrient would cure disease or ill health. I think that we need both the micro and the macro examination of food and, providing people take a common-sense approach to eating, it helps to understand how our body reacts to certain elements.

In The Omnivore's Dilemma Pollan concluded by offering the following advice: Eat Food, Not too Much, Mostly Plants. In this book in Part III he expands on those suggestions. That's probably the most valuable part of the book for anyone considering how to change their diet. Personally, since reading The Omnivore's Dilemma I have tried to eat better by eating more fruits, vegetables and pulses and eating less meat. The meat I do eat is quite often purchased from local farmers which may cost a little more than mass-produced meat but has a better fat ratio and is far better tasting. I grew up on a farm and I know the trials and tribulations of being a farmer so I also feel good about supporting local farms.

Journal Entry 5 by mcsar at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, December 2, 2020
I love his writings about food. Thank you for this great book.

Journal Entry 6 by mcsar at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Friday, November 12, 2021
I have been trying to eat better too, and this is a great reminder of what I need to do. It is so easy to give in because of convenience and costs, but I have to do better.

Journal Entry 7 by mcsar at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Friday, February 11, 2022

Released 2 yrs ago (2/10/2022 UTC) at Richmond, British Columbia Canada

On its way to Mankyi as part of my One book a month offer for Jan 2022. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 8 by Mankyi at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, February 22, 2022
Thank you for sending me this book! I'm looking forward to reading it!

UPDATE June 2024: Although we seem to be doing better with our food and diets here in Switzerland, than in the US, it is still a useful and informative read. I definitely feel inspired to stick to the formula “Eat food.Not too much.Mostly plants.”

Journal Entry 9 by Mankyi at The Lab - Capsule Hotel in Luzern, Luzern Switzerland on Friday, June 14, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (6/14/2024 UTC) at The Lab - Capsule Hotel in Luzern, Luzern Switzerland

Left the book in the communal room.