Crowdie and Cream

Never too many!
by Finlay J. Macdonald | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingearthcaroleannewing of Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on 7/30/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 30, 2021
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join.

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, earthcaroleanne, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossings!

Journal Entry 2 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 30, 2021
This is Finlay J Macdonald's charming, nostalgic and often hilarious account of a childhood spent in Harris in the years after the First War. Peopled with characters like Great Aunt Rachel, 'built like a Churchill tank and with a personality to match'. This is the story of the Macdonald's home-made home where the author's mother spun wool for Harris tweed while his father tilled their thirteen acres and tended the livestock, and of the young Finlay growing up in the warmth and closeness of a unique Herbridean community.

This was a really fascinating book and beautifully written. At times I wondered about his age but when he revealed he was starting school for the first time I was surprised as he seemed older at times. However a 5-year-old being left to wander around a small village on the Isle of Harris is no doubt much safer than the same 5-year-old wandering round the streets of a town today – unless you have a friend called Molly! It is a very descriptive narrative and having visited both blackhouses and white houses this week, it was easy to picture. I thoroughly enjoyed these tales of a bygone era especially when going to a roup was mentioned. I spent my summer holidays on a farm in the north east of Scotland. My parents loved going to roups and I’ve got to say I loved it too. Maybe that is where I go my love for antiques and auctions but a roup can’t compare.

Having spoken to a young girl waitressing in Tarbert, she advised me that there was a BBC adaptation of this book and she was the baby crying the church. I must watch out for this as if it’s half as good as the book, it will be very enjoyable.

ETA – I had my first taste of crowdie when I saw it on the shelf of a local shop while on my travels. It is like cottage cheese and very enjoyable on crackers.

Released 1 mo ago (8/5/2021 UTC) at Scarista Cemetary in Isle of Harris, Scotland United Kingdom

I plan to leave this near Scarista where the author lived.