Into the Water

Registered by darkhorse4460 of Bletchingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on 9/25/2019
Journal Entry 1 by darkhorse4460 from Bletchingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 25, 2019
Just days before her sister plunged to her death, Jules ignored her call.
Now Nel is dead. They say she jumped. And Jules must return to her sister's house to care for her daughter, and to face the mystery of Nel's death.
But Jules is afraid. Of her long-buried memories, of the old Mill House, of this small town that is drowning in secrecy . . .

And of knowing that Nel would never have jumped.

This is well written, atmospheric and the characters reasonably well drawn. The trouble is there are too many of them, or at least too many narrators/points of view. I don't have a problem with multiple points of view but there are more than 10 here and remembering who they are and how they related to each other is quite a chore, I was quite pleased that this edition has a character list at the beginning .

Although the overarching theme is the women who have met their end in the 'drowning pool' over centuries, it is the mystery of the more recent deaths that is central. It is a multiple whodunnit. Did they jump or were they pushed? Were these coincidental accidents? How do all these different small town characters relate to each other? In the end I think too much is happening, too many threads, too many secrets, too many damaged people. It meanders about too much, which takes the edge off the suspense and psychological thriller aspect and makes it a bit too soapy.

I enjoyed the whole what happens to 'troublesome women' feminist underpinning of the story. I did enjoy it overall, but I just think Paula Hawkins was trying too hard to make a more sophisticated follow up to 'The Girl on the Train'.