Homegoing

by Yaa Gyasi | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0241975247 Global Overview for this book
Registered by winggreenbadgerwing of St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 9/17/2019
Journal Entry 1 by winggreenbadgerwing from St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 17, 2019
A very powerful book following two branches of a family. Effia's mother has always hated her, and stops her marriage to the chief, making her leave the village and marry a white slave trader. Esi finds out from the house girl that she has a sister she doesn't know about, and in return sends information which leads to her being captured by a neighbouring tribe and sold into slavery. Effia's branch of the family stay in Ghana, Esi's are in America. As the book follows the generations of the family, the world slowly changes around them. I sometimes found the book jumped between people just as I'd got into one character's story, but that's necessary with this type of story-telling. A great read.

Released 3 mos ago (10/11/2019 UTC) at 2019-BCUK Un-Convention Northampton, The UK UnConvention -- Controlled Releases

A wishlist gift to a Bookcrosser at the Unconvention.

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing at Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Friday, October 11, 2019
Thank you so much! Looking forward to reading it...

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Friday, November 29, 2019
I agree, a very powerful book. Brilliant. One of the best I read this year.

Reserved for grovalskii.

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Monday, December 09, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (12/9/2019 UTC) at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany

Given to grovalskii over a hot beverage during one of our lovely after-work mini-meet-ups.

Journal Entry 6 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, December 10, 2019
Thanks so much for the book, ApoloniaX, and the company yesterday! Can't wait to read this, hopefully soon.