The Little Red Chairs

by Edna O'Brien | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 057131631X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingpippiswing of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 4/17/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingpippiswing from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, April 17, 2020
One night, in the dead of winter, a mysterious stranger arrives in the small Irish town of Cloonoila. Broodingly handsome, worldly, and charismatic, Dr. Vladimir Dragan is a poet, a self-proclaimed holistic healer, and a welcome disruption to the monotony of village life. Before long, the beautiful black-haired Fidelma McBride falls under his spell and, defying the shackles of wedlock and convention, turns to him to cure her of her deepest pains.

Then, one morning, the illusion is abruptly shattered. While en route to pay tribute at Yeats's grave, Dr. Vlad is arrested and revealed to be a notorious war criminal and mass murderer. The Cloonoila community is devastated by this revelation, and no one more than Fidelma, who is made to pay for her deviance and desire. In disgrace and utterly alone, she embarks on a journey that will bring both profound hardship and, ultimately, the prospect of redemption.

Journal Entry 2 by wingpippiswing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, April 18, 2020
A slightly challenging read, as the storytelling is not as straight-forward as you'd expect and due to Fidelma facing the brutalities of war on her home soil. The book clearly underlines that life is no fairytale...

Journal Entry 3 by wingpippiswing at Ranta-Kerttu in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, July 11, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (7/11/2020 UTC) at Ranta-Kerttu in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Looking for a new reader at local meet-up!

Journal Entry 4 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, July 11, 2020
Home from the meet-up, let's see what this one is about...

Journal Entry 5 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, September 21, 2021
Well that's one grim story and no doubt based on many true events, but not so well written in my opinion, hard to follow all those people scattered around different chapters... Also, I really didn't understand Fidelma or her choices, so a lot of this was a frustrating read to be honest. I'm very interested in Bosnia and Sarajevo though, so I struggled on.

** Comment for a reading challenge: I've spent a few days in Sarajevo, plus I travelled through the southern part of the country (coming from Dubrovnik) by bus, sometime in early 00's. I do remember the countless bombed houses in the countryside, some being rebuilt at the time... and the most sobering sight was when I got out of the bus station in Sarajevo, only to be facing the skeleton of the famous Holiday Inn that was still standing - well, what was left of it - at the time (it's been rebuilt by now, I heard). Anyway, the city itself was wonderful and I finally had a new Balkan road trip planned for the summer of 2020... yeah, better luck some other year.

Journal Entry 6 by wingsakirmowing at Fazer Café in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, September 25, 2021

Released 2 wks ago (9/25/2021 UTC) at Fazer Café in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Miittivapautus

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookgeowing at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, September 25, 2021
This book came home with me from the meet-up, somehow this caught my attention with Ireland and Bosnia in its story. Hopefully this is not too frustrating.

Thank you for sakirmo, it was great having you as our meet-up guest again. Autumn greetings to pippis, too!