Among The Elephants

Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 9/7/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Saturday, September 07, 2019
This is a fascinating oversized paperback, written by a young couple who lived among African elephants. There are beautiful photos of elephants, their families and herds throughout. According to the introduction, Iain Douglas-Hamilton was of "an ancient and noble family of cattle raiders" who operated in the border lands of Scotland and England. He was the son of Lord David Douglas-Hamilton, a World War II Royal Air Force officer, and Ann Prunella Stack, a women's rights activist. Iain Douglas-Hamilton studied Zoology at Oxford University, earning first a bachelor's degree, in 1965, and then a D.Phil, in 1972. Oria Douglas-Hamilton, his wife, grew up on a remote cattle farm in Kenya before attending finishing school in Paris. She graduated from the School of Haute Couture Parisienne before studying art for three years in Rome. The stunning photos she took for this book demonstrate her educated eye. The charismatic Doulas-Hamiltons are co-authors of this book, each contributing in alternating chapters. From early in their career, the two have been advocates for elephants. Their work helped to stem the ivory trade that was decimating elephant herds and to preserve elephant habitats. Daughters Saba and Dudu, who work in documentary film and television, were both raised in Africa "among the elephants." The Douglas-Hamiltons and their daughters continue to live in Kenya. At the time of the writing of this book, about 50 years ago, their daughter Sabra was very young. The lovely pictures of her as an infant and a toddler among elephant herds show her comfort with and love for these intriguing animals. The book was copyrighted in 1975. This is a 1975 paperback reprint. I carefully cleaned and disinfected this book and patched it a bit. I hope it will offer the world of readers at least a few more reads.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Briarlake Forest Park in Atlanta, Georgia USA on Monday, September 09, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (9/9/2019 UTC) at Briarlake Forest Park in Atlanta, Georgia USA

Hello! You've received this book from BookCrossing, a random community of book lovers. If you'd like to join the BookCrossing story of this book, please make a journal entry at our site with the BCID (bookcrossing ID) on the bookplate. BookCrossing is free to join and confidential. Tell us anything you'd like to share about this book.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, September 19, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (9/19/2019 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

I have incredible affection for this fascinating and hard-to-find book. It did not fly from the Briarlake Litte Free Library as I would have hoped so I've decided to send it along to a BookCrossing friend whose wishlist betrays a fascination with the Elephantidae Family. I hope she'll enjoy it.

Journal Entry 4 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, October 08, 2019
A mash of skin

along a balance of legs,
a house on the move.