Koshchei The Deathless

Registered by wingemmejowing of Cortland, New York USA on 8/30/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingemmejowing from Cortland, New York USA on Friday, August 30, 2019
I spotted this a while ago at a local comic store, and immediately snagged it. I enjoy seeing interpretations of folktales, and rarely see that done with Russian stories. Plus, I have yet to encounter a book I didn't like in any of the Hellboy 'verse. After reading it several times, it is now ready to move on to someone else.

The framing story in this mini-series is of Koshchei telling his life's story to Hellboy, as they sit in a bar in Hell. It's a unique choice, and works well, as Hellboy's questions help steer the story for the reader. There are some well-known Russian folk characters, such as Baba Yaga, Vasilia and her doll, and obviously, Koshchei himself. However, I found myself wishing I knew more about Russian tales, since I got the feeling that some of the other characters we get to know have counterparts in folktales that I didn't know.

The art is, of course, excellent. Stenbeck is the main artist, and does a wonderful job incorporating historical Russian clothing and truly striking environments into the typical style of the Hellboy series. His line art is then elevated by Stewart's excellent coloring, which convey's so much mood.

Journal Entry 2 by wingemmejowing at Cortland, New York USA on Friday, September 06, 2019

Released 1 wk ago (9/6/2019 UTC) at Cortland, New York USA

Sent to the winner of the Manga/GN sweeps. Sorry it is rather late!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 11, 2019
Arrived safely today thank you