The Salt Path

by Raynor Winn | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 8/28/2019
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 28, 2019
This is a book group choice, not something I would pick up myself - i've read a couple of walking memoirs lately. But, never mind, here goes!

(28/08/19) I was disappointed with this, but then I have read a few travel memoirs recently ... possibly a limited and ultimately unrewarding genre for the desk-bound? The 'USP' for this trip along the Salt Path, 600+ miles around Devon, Cornwall and bits of Dorset and Somerset, is the terminal illness of Ray's (the writer/narrator) husband and the homeless near-destitution of both. In the end the redemption, and not quite salvation, seems contrived, likewise attempts at humour and pop-psychology. The author writes a good description of the sea, and cliffs, birds and sand, but it all gets a bit boring i'm afraid.

I will pass this on to see as a suitably 'wild' release' in the hope that someone else enjoys it more than me.

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at London Cruise Terminal in Tilbury, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, September 02, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (9/2/2019 UTC) at London Cruise Terminal in Tilbury, Essex United Kingdom

I will leave this somewhere in Tilbury or on CMV Vasco de Gama cruising round the UK coast - not Devon and Cornwall, but passing near the Salt Path!

Enjoy and welcome to bookcrossing!