The Noise of Time

by Julian Barnes | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 8/22/2019
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, August 22, 2019
I haven't read a Barnes for a while, but am looking forward to this. It's a great cover but the ISBN isn't working :(

(12/08/19) I knew I was going to enjoy this book from the first page - not always a certainty with JB - here is just a sample of the early quotable snippets, philosophy, insights and black humour:

“In the old days, a child may pay for the sins of its father, or indeed mother. Nowadays, in the most advanced society on earth, the parents might pay for the sins of the child, alone with uncles, aunts, cousins, in-laws, colleagues, friends, and even the man who unthinkingly smiled at your as he came out of the life at 3 in the morning. The system of retribution has been greatly improved, and was so much more inclusive than it used to be.”

‘The strong cannot help confronting; the less strong cannot help evading.’

The young Shostakovitch and his battle of wills with his mother. In the expectation that she will read his diary, ‘[he] would deliberately write into it, for a few weeks ahead, “Suicide”. Or, sometimes, “Marriage”’

The plot starts with the paranoid composer Dmitri Shostakovich waiting outside a lift all night in his soviet-era apartment, waiting to be taken away to the ‘Big House,’ And it continues in a similar vein, the famous composer falls in and out of favour with the government and cultural police of the day, his work is lauded and then banned, but he survives with a certain phlegmatic resignation and lack of ambition. This is a really clever mixture of biography and novel about USSR/Russia and the Russian temperament.

And more quotes; the book title appears many times, at least 4 times that I marked a la Newton. The pick of the bunch is, ‘Art is the whisper of history, heard above the noise of time.’

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, August 22, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (8/22/2019 UTC) at Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom

I'm passing this on the DS - I think he will enjoy it and pass it on :)