Herm, Our Island Home

by Jenny Wood | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Chocbrownie of Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on 8/11/2019
Journal Entry 1 by Chocbrownie from Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, August 11, 2019
Bought in a charity book shop in Guernsey.

Journal Entry 2 by Chocbrownie at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, August 18, 2019
I have always loved Herm & will always want to visit on our trips over to Guernsey. Written by Jenny Wood who purchased the lease of the island not long after the Second World War with her husband, the book describes how they succeeded in converting a bramble ridden island with derelict buildings and no amenities into a paradise that Guernsey islanders and other tourists love to visit. She also includes detail of the flora & fauna and the tried and tested cottage industries to try and keep the island ‘afloat’.
The book ends with hope that it would remain in the family however the Heyworths sold the lease in 2008 for under 15 million to a couple who chose to appoint an island manager. They have battled with Guernsey authorities to extend their 40 year lease but I can’t find online where this situation now stands.
I just hope who ever is involved in managing the island conserves it’s beauty and controls the number of tourists to suit its capacity.

Journal Entry 3 by Chocbrownie at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (8/3/2020 UTC) at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

Winging its way to a friendly bookcrosser!

Journal Entry 4 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, August 10, 2020
Received in the post as a RABCK 3 days ago (and has just come out of "quarantine" due to the coronavirus). Thanks very much. I had forgotten all about this book but am really looking forward to reading it, having visited the island when I was 18 years old-many years ago! My husband has a sister who used to be a nurse on the neighbouring island of Guernsey and travelling there was my first ever flight.

Journal Entry 5 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 26, 2020
REVIEW:-"I really enjoyed this very well-written book about an island I visited many years ago, although only for a day trip. It was full of interesting stories of the hard work involved in bringing the island back to life and keeping it running successfully and mostly profitably, while at the same time bringing up a family of 6 children. The Wood family were certainly full of ideas to make money and very clever in carrying them out. I loved the stories of the church and chapel and the descriptive powers of the author made me feel as if I was almost travelling around the island with her and her family and workforce."

Reserved for my husband in the first instance and then for his sister, both of whom have also visited Herm as I have.

Journal Entry 6 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, October 12, 2020
My husband has now also read this book and comments as follows:-"A very informative view of the island and I enjoyed reading about the various projects they took upon themselves and the problems they encountered. Sounds like a nice peaceful island to live on."
Reserved for my sister-in-law Cathy.

Journal Entry 7 by daffodil-2 at Acle, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Released 10 mos ago (11/4/2020 UTC) at Acle, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book will be given to my sister-in-law who is looking forward to reading it as she has also been to Herm.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 8 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 21, 2021
Received back from my sister-in-law today. She really enjoyed the book. Reserving the book for another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 9 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, July 23, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (7/27/2021 UTC) at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book will be sent to another bookcrosser.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 10 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 29, 2021
Thank you very much for the very welcome book parcel that arrived this morning, daffodil-2. I'm delighted to add more stock to my reading piles as they've been getting a bit depleted lately!

I found its previous reading history interesting, especially that you've all been to Herm. I haven't! We've been to Jersey twice, firstly on our honeymoon, then returning to celebrate our pearl wedding anniversary 30 years later, but haven't explored any of the other Channel Islands. And, yes, he did buy me some pearl earrings while we were there :-)

I look forward to reading about it, thank you!

Journal Entry 11 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 3, 2021
Thank you again for this memoir. I was grateful to receive it, despite my comments being mixed and not particularly enthusiastic!

I nearly didn't make it past the first chapter as I took an instant disliking to Peter. He came across as patronising and paternalistic in his hopes and dreams for the future. I couldn't understand why the narrator, if she was as devoted to him as she claimed, made him sound so obnoxious. The obvious explanation, that she admired his feudal superiority, was enough to put me off her as well . . .

Fortunately they grew on me as the story progressed - or perhaps I just got more used to their quirks.

Then there was the unacceptably high frequency of printing errors at the start but for some reason the proof-reading also improved in later chapters so that became less annoying as well.

On balance, it was an interesting story and I think I'm glad I perservered.

One of my favourite modern country dances, written by a friend of ours, was named for St Tugal's Chapel on Herm (also referred to as St Tugual's at other points in the text!) so I was particularly interested to read of its refurbishment, complete with before and after photographs. For me, that was the best bit!

Journal Entry 12 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 8, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (8/8/2021 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To my friend and neighbour blower

Journal Entry 13 by Blower at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 6, 2021
From my friend and neighbour Nu-Knees.
I thought this looked an interesting read and a change from a fiction book.
I took this to read on holiday in Essex, not to Herm.
Strangely that weekend there was an article in the Yorkshire Post magazine about a family from Yorkshire becoming the new owners of Herm. They took over from Jenny Wood's daughter and family. Sadly the magazine was thrown out.
It was an interesting read and would be a lovely place to visit.