Last Man Down

by Richard Picciotto | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 1101220759 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wing6of8wing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 8/10/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, August 10, 2019
Getting new flooring means moving the bookcase which means reevaluating the books that have been waiting to be read for some time. This one didn't make the cut, in part because of the large number of books that did. It will get a new home.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 18, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (8/18/2019 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA

This book is going to meet-up with me today and hopefully going home with someone else.

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, August 19, 2019
I'm interested in this book because of my history with the emergency services. At the same time, I'm not sure I really want to read this, again because of my history with the emergency services. Either way, it came home from today's BC-in-DC meeting. Time will tell whether I actually get around to reading it or not.

Journal Entry 4 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, September 13, 2019
I read this book over three days, starting on Sept. 10 and finishing on Sept. 12. Somehow it seemed entirely appropriate to immerse myself in this story of survival on the 18th anniversary of the events described in this book.

I grew up around volunteer firefighters and spent my early adulthood as a member of the emergency services. While I was never much of a firefighter (my interests focused more on the emergency medical services), I worked side-by-side with firefighters and considered them part of my larger emergency services family. But I had left that world before 2001, and didn't have any direct role to play that day, so I could only watch in horror as the images flashed across my television screen. Even before anyone said anything, I *knew* deep in my core that firefighters had died that day.

But not Chief Picciotto. And his survival is nothing short of an absolute miracle. The title of his account of that day is literally true. He was the last man to come down the tower and survive. By his account he was still between the 6th and 7th floors of the second tower when it collapsed, trapping him in the rubble. His account of how he escaped from the debris, and of the events that led him to be there, is powerful and gripping. He is a true hero, who saved many, many lives that day, including his own. His story is both remarkable, because it is so far outside anyone's normal experiences, and, at the same time, entirely unremarkable, because his actions and responses are so totally in keeping with the nature of firefighters everywhere.

In spite of the horrific nature of the tragedy of that day, this book was not, in any way, a depressing read. Instead, it was inspiring. It is a story of triumph over the most extreme adversity, and is a powerful testament to the will and character of this man.

Journal Entry 5 by wingResQgeekwing at Starbucks (Jamieson Ave) in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, September 13, 2019

Released 1 wk ago (9/13/2019 UTC) at Starbucks (Jamieson Ave) in Alexandria, Virginia USA

Left on a table outside the shop.

======================

DEAR FINDER,

I hope you enjoy the book!