The Slender Man

by Dexter Morgenstern | Horror |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/5/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 05, 2019
I got this softcover from Better World Books. From the title and cover-art I assumed it was themed on the "Slender Man" mythos, but while its main antagonist does share some of the Slender Man aspects, the story takes a different tack. (Eerie note: There are details in the cover-art that I did not notice until I'd read the book - and when I finally did notice, I could have sworn they weren't there before. Cue the "Twilight Zone" music!)

Anyway, the story has some nicely effective elements, including the effects of a tragedy on a close-knit community, and the growing paranoia as something "other" seems to be claiming more and more of their children. Central character Alyssa is the narrator, and is a smart and devoted young girl, whose family - one of very few Jewish families in their small North Carolina town - is both important and exasperating to her. She's the one who spots a very strange tree in the forest while she's on one of her runs, but she doesn't put the pieces together until far too many local kids have gone missing... Some strong characterizations here and some very creepy scenes, with a growing sense of doom!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 25, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (11/25/2019 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the Halloween bookbox, which will be on its way again soon. Hope someone enjoys it!

*** Released for the 2019 The The Release Challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by mysticalzoe at Gardiner, Maine USA on Friday, November 29, 2019
Took out of Halloween Book box.

I ended up reading this book and it was surprisingly entertaining, a slow start but once it got going it was pretty darn creepy.
I recommended it to my son who will be reading it over the Christmas holiday.