Night

by ELIE WIESEL | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 8/4/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, August 04, 2019
This is one of 30 books kindly donated to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) by a neighbor who is moving from one house to another--still within Twinbrook. Thanks for the books!

----------------

I read another copy of this book in 2004. This is what I wrote about it after I read it...

Eliezer was 15 years old when he, his sister and his parents were taken prisoner by the Nazis and deported from their home in Sighet, Transylvania, for the crime of being Jewish. Upon arrival to the concentration camp of Auschwitz, Eliezer and his father were separated from Eliezer’s mother and sister, never to see them again. To survive the most inhumane conditions imaginable and to avoid immediate death, Eliezer and his father desperately tried to keep up their strength, thereby demonstrating to the Nazis their usefulness in their ability to work. Each day brought new horrors, torture, starvation, exposure, exhaustion, and illness. Constantly, death hovered over them and the other prisoners. Their challenge: how to avoid the physical and emotional damage that hastened that almost certain death.

The author does a stunning job of presenting the difficult subject of the Holocaust. He follows a father and son as they move from a religiously-observant life in Transylvania to the agonizingly slow and painful experience of deportation and imprisonment in a series of concentration camps. To make this story more acceptable, the author makes it neither long nor frightfully graphic. It presents in clear detail the movements and emotions of one young man caught in an unreal world and how he suffers in his attempt to survive. What causes the greatest sadness and horror to the reader is the slow realization of the degree to which man can inflict physical and emotional pain on another human being with little or no remorse. It is a difficult lesson but one which needs to be taught, understood, and remembered by all people. Elie Wiesel begins this terrible education with Night.

I'm releasing this book for...

***The August 2019 One Word Title Challenge hosted by booklady331

----------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!