Dracula

by Bram Stoker | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/1/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 01, 2019
This slightly-battered softcover was among the books donated to the Nashua Public Library for distribution to the Little Free Libraries; I nabbed this one for another release copy.

I always enjoy going back to the original text of "Dracula," although since Drac has become an icon, inspiring entire genres of books and films (plus a role-playing game or two - and don't forget the breakfast cereal), it's sometimes difficult to sort out the "real" fictional Dracula from the derived pop-culture fictional Dracula, if you follow me. Anyway, I like the way the story unfolds via the letters and journals of several of the participants, offering different views of the increasingly disturbing events that are taking place. The stark settings, the contrast between ancient evil and modern [for the publication date, anyway] science, the forging of the alliance of Lucy's bereaved lovers, the climactic chase sequence - it's all marvelous!

Of the many stage and screen adaptations, my favorite is the 1931 film, though I admit it hasn't aged as well as other classics. And what was with that armadillo crawling around in a European crypt??? The Gorey-styled stage version starring Frank Langella was marvelous - I got to see that on Broadway - but it, too, departed from the original a good deal. Ah, well, perhaps someone will do an adaptation that's both faithful to the novel and a good movie - someday...

[For those who enjoy audiobooks, there's a wonderful unabridged-audio version of Dracula read by Robert Whitfield (a pseudonym of Simon Vance); recommended! And check out the extensive TV Tropes page.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Lincoln Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 02, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (8/3/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Lincoln Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library at Lincoln Park, near the entrance to Mine Falls Park; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 One-Word Title release challenge. ***