That Inevitable Victorian Thing

by E.K. Johnston | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by futurecat of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 7/30/2019
Journal Entry 1 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, July 30, 2019
An interesting concept: an alternative history where Victoria's daughter ascended the throne and the British Empire never ended. A bit lacking in execution though - it reads a bit like fan fiction at times (I wasn't surprised when I read the author's notes at the end and discovered Johnston does indeed have a background in fan fiction), and felt like the author had a few too many ideas and was trying to cram them all in, when maybe some of them should have just been left as unsaid backstory (or maybe just left out altogether - there was a bit of idealistic naivety about some of the politics, which sometimes got to the point of unbelievability and broke the immersion).

But a nice light fun read, despite its flaws.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 2 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Burnt Pine, Norfolk Island Australia on Monday, October 21, 2019
This was on the table when I dined at Hillis Restaurant, with a group of bookcrossers.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, October 25, 2019
I am assuming this is a first time author, with an interesting premise and way of setting out a story. There was no subtlety in the messages they wanted to put out there.

Released 1 yr ago (10/25/2019 UTC) at Domestic Terminal - Koru Lounge in Auckland Airport, Auckland Province New Zealand