To Kill a Mockingbird

by Harper Lee | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by 4evagreen of Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 7/27/2019
Journal Entry 1 by 4evagreen from Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 27, 2019
I have wanted to read this for a while so when I spotted it I couldn't resist picking it up.

Journal Entry 2 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 05, 2019
The story is told in first person from the point of view of Scout Finch, six years old at the beginning of the novel and nine by the end. What makes this book so remarkable is that the author flawlessly manages to maintain a child's understanding of the events as they happen without lapsing into adult opinions or understanding. Events are portrayed simply and plainly as Scout tries to grapple with the prejudices that suddenly confront her, largely centring around neighbour Arthur “Boo” Radley- a recluse- and Tom Robinson-the defendant.

However the novel's real strength is that it challenges the reader to question our own set of beliefs. When Tom Robinson, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary, is found guilty it is only the children who are touched by the injustice. In contrast the adults are merely surprised that the jury took so long to reach their verdict. As Atticus remarks: “ they ‘ll (the jury) do it again and when they do it – seems that only children weep..”

Despite the dark subject matter there is a subtle humour throughout this novel as it is told with a child's innate sense of wonder. This book is a joy and fully deserves to be regarded as a modern classic.

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 10, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (10/10/2019 UTC) at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as part of a Reading it/ Want it thread. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by conto at Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Saturday, November 02, 2019
Received probably some days ago, whilst away on vacation...
Thank you so very much, 4evagreen! I've been willing to reread this one, but lent my copy to someone who just never returned it...
I'm a bit overloaded with so many books to read in hands, from bookrings and loans, but I'll catch up eventually and get to this one :)