The Heart Goes Last

by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingcontowing of Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on 7/25/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingcontowing from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Thursday, July 25, 2019
Synopsis
Stan and Charmaine are a married couple trying to stay afloat in the midst of economic and social collapse. Living in their car, surviving on tips from Charmaine's job at a dive bar, they're increasingly vulnerable to roving gangs and in a rather desperate state. So when they see an advertisement for the Positron Project in the town of Consilience - a 'social experiment' offering stable jobs and a home of their own - they sign up immediately. All they have to do in return for this suburban paradise is give up their freedom every second month, swapping their home for a prison cell.
At first, all is well. But slowly, unknown to the other, Stan and Charmaine develop a passionate obsession with their counterparts, the couple that occupy their home when they are in prison. Soon the pressures of conformity, mistrust, guilt and sexual desire take over, and Positron looks less like a prayer answered and more like a chilling prophecy fulfilled."
____________

Originally written as an ebook serial, this is a magnificent Margaret Atwood, even if it's not one of the best, given everything's that she's already written. I'd say that it is a satirical, ironic dystopia (not to say sarcastic, for that may be a somewhat strong adjectivation). I just didn't like as much the last quarter or so of the book, when it slides into a kind of surrealist adventure.

[originally read in the end of 2017/January 2018]

Journal Entry 2 by wingcontowing at To a friend, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 25, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (7/25/2019 UTC) at To a friend, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Getting out of my shelf and into irus' shelf or maybe, later on, the visitor's shelves of irus :)
If that's the case, I hope it becomes a success there and gets read again - and again, and again? that would be more than I ask for!

Journal Entry 3 by irus at Bragança, Bragança Portugal on Monday, July 29, 2019
You're right. It will go first to my TBR shelf and then... who knows?
Problem... my TBR shelf is getting higher and higher. Well, there are bigger problems in this world.

Journal Entry 4 by irus at Bragança, Bragança Portugal on Thursday, August 15, 2019
Once I started reading it, I couldn't put the book down. I don't know all of Atwood books, but I always feel that her dystopias could get real very fast. The last quarter is surreal, indeed, but also very plausible with all the elvis and marilyns that make their living in Vegas. I kind of guessed the end (the present given to Charmaine by Jocelyn) but it didn't take my pleasure of reading this book.

Its now available, to guests or whoever wants to give a try on this one.