Whispers in the Sand

by Barbara Erskine | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by dark-draco of Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on 7/23/2019
Journal Entry 1 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 23, 2019
This follows Anna Fox as she travels in Egypt, recreating the journey her great grandmother, Louisa, once did. Accompanied by Louisa's journal, Anna starts to discover that there was more to her relative's trip than has been passed down through the family. The journal, and an antique scent bottle, attract the unwanted attention of two men aboard the boat, one a antique dealer, the other with more obscure motives. But it is the more supernatural elements that start to impact on Anna's enjoyment. Why does the scent bottle move around her cabin? Who are the ghostly spirits that appear, angry and threatening, whenever the scent bottle is touched by other people? As she reads more of the journal, she is drawn deeper into two separate scandals, one that involved Louisa and the first trip to Egypt, the other three thousand years ago when two priests fought over the secret of the vial.

I found this a bit slow to start with, but once I got into it I enjoyed every minute. The story didn't hold too many surprises, but it had a great sense of tension and a few shivery moments. I did get a bit fed up with Anna's constant screaming when the priests appeared - you would have thought she'd have confronted them a lot earlier - only to consistently pretend it was something else she saw. Louisa's story was good too and I loved the way the author had married the two together. Neither grated and you didn't hop too madly from one to the other.

Journal Entry 2 by dark-draco at Church Yard in Munsley, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Released 5 days ago (9/11/2019 UTC) at Church Yard in Munsley, Herefordshire United Kingdom

Congratulations! You have found a travelling book. Thank you for taking the time to visit this site and letting us know what this book has been up to since it was released into the wild. I hope you enjoy reading it, but even if it isn’t your type of thing, then I’m sure there will be someone out there who will love it. This book is now yours, so feel free to keep it. However, I would be grateful if you could leave all the stickers in place and pass it on again once you’ve finished with it – you could give it to a friend, donate it to a charity shop or just leave it lying around somewhere to be picked up again by a total stranger. If you would like to get regular updates on what the book is doing in the future, then why not join Bookcrossing too…its fun, friendly and free.

Thanks again and happy reading!