Dune

Where's this book been?
by Frank Herbert | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/6/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 06, 2019
I got this paperback at a local Savers thrift shop, for another release copy.

I first read Dune when it first came out, and was enthralled by the wonderful world-building that Herbert had done. I fell in love with Duncan Idaho, was enraptured by the imagery of the Fremen and the sandworms; it struck me at the time as one of the most completely-realized fictional worlds I'd ever encountered. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and its first sequel or two.

As each additional book came out I became less and less interested, since massive layers of diplomacy and espionage and jockeying for power aren't my favorite things, not to mention some of the more "cosmic/surreal" plot twists. But Dune itself is an original, and well worth exploring.

[The 1984 film was visually impressive, but oh, so painful to watch, with all those voiceovers and repetitions and spelling-out-to-the-audience things that should have been conveyed by the actors' expressions and reactions - way too much "info dump". The 2000 mini-series was much better as regards the actual plot, and pretty good re visuals and performances. The TV Tropes page on the book has some entertaining tidbits, and plenty of links to other elements in the franchise.]

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this rainy afternoon; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 One-Word Title release challenge. ***