Age of Godpunk

Where's this book been?
by James Lovegrove | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/13/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 13, 2019
I got this softcover at a local Savers thrift shop, for another release copy. This book collects three novellas, each themed on a world in which a different deity suddenly turns out to be real - and very much active:

"Age of Anansi", featuring the trickster spider-god in a tale involving a contest among all the trickster-gods, each of whom has selected a human avatar. As one might imagine, under these circumstances things get wacky - and then deadly violent - quite soon... I enjoyed playing "spot the mythology" as each new character was introduced, and the main character's struggles against Anansi's influence on his life were intriguing. This was my favorite of the three stories in the book.

"Age of Satan", featuring - well, Satan - with some interesting swerves between the "sign here in exchange for your soul" type and the "do as you will" self-reliant "satan". This story has some very disturbing scenes, and while its take on personal responsibility vs. the nature of evil was interesting, I found I didn't enjoy it.

"Age of Gaia", in which Mother Nature is NOT amused. The story presented an exceedingly nasty and greedy tycoon falling under the spell of an Earth-mother-type woman who (surprise!) is an avatar of Gaia, leading to a BDSM relationship which seemed to be a setup for "if you f**k with Mother Earth she'll f**k with you," in an all-too-literal sense. While the tycoon certainly got what was coming to him, I wasn't wild about this story either - I couldn't help thinking that if Gaia did want to get directly involved with some of the worst offenses against her, she could do it more efficiently {rueful grin}.

Overall, some very interesting concepts; I would like to read some of the author's novels on similar themes.

Released 3 wks ago (8/19/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Revive Recovery Center in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library in front of the Revive center; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]