Lazarus

Where's this book been?
by Morris West | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 9780312043391 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/8/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 08, 2019
I got this book at a local Goodwill thrift shop. It's the third volume in West's trilogy that began with Shoes of the Fisherman, and focuses on the aged and now ailing pope Leo XIV. There's an intriguing cast of characters here, including a Jewish heart surgeon, a woman whose own disabled child spurred her to create a home for others with similar rare ailments, and one of the pope's chief political rivals - whose fondness for the woman's daughter led him to host her group of disabled children himself. There's a lot more going on here, from the politics surrounding the fears of the pope's death - or, perhaps worse from the standpoint of the college of cardinals, his longterm disability or profound psychological changes - to the traumatic fallout of some of the pope's more severe pronouncements, mingled with a rise in outside conspiracies. I admit I liked the character focus best, and the highly dramatic climax left me a bit cold - but overall it's quite an involving novel, with some thought-provoking aspects about the Church (and strong beliefs in general), care for others, and consideration for what we would like our lives to mean...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, City Hall in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 19, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (8/19/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, City Hall in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library next to City Hall; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 One-Word Title release challenge. ***