It's All Too Much

Books are good for you!
by Peter Walsh | Home & Garden |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/14/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 14, 2019
I got this book from a local Salvation Army thrift shop, for another release copy. I enjoyed Walsh's book Does All This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat. [I'd seen him on the "Clean Sweep" TV show, but didn't recognize him from his cover photo...]

This is a decent book on how to declutter, with lots of suggestions both general and specific. Sure, a lot of the ideas aren't new, but they're expressed here in a clear, entertaining style, and a few of them even made me want to get up and sort stuff {grin}.

I'm always interested to see what clutter experts say about books; some of 'em clearly are not book lovers themselves, while others do seem to understand the connection that many of us have with our books. Here, Walsh acknowledges these differences, mentioning the people who buy books for specific purposes and don't need to cling to them once they've been read, as well as those who "derive a great sense of security and contentment from knowing that they own the book." [He goes on to note that for some of these folks fear letting go of books as symbolic of losing the information or pleasure that came from it, wbether they've read the books or not; interesting viewpoint, and not one familiar to me!]

His take on organizing books: available space. "...there is only one simple rule when dealing with books: If they don't fit on your shelves, they shouldn't be in your home.... You should have no more than the number of books that fit comfortably on your bookshelves - not stacked on the floor or on top of the entertainment unit or in boxes in the garage." He does admit that the solution to books-on-the-floor could include getting new shelves as well as disposing of some books, but he tries to convince the reader that stockpiling books past the point where they can be useful or enjoyable is not treating them with respect - a nice point. "Try to see the book purge as a way of creating a space conducive to reading and the acquisition of knowledge in a way that showcases the volumes you love and honors the collection you have."

At the end of the book is a section divided into months, with suggestions for specific things to tackle each month - a way to approach clutter issues incrementally and to establish some rituals for regular weeding out of clothes/collections/etc. Some good ideas here; now if only it were as easy to do them as it is to read about them!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Lajoie Field in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 19, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (8/19/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Lajoie Field in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library at Lajoie field; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]