How to Stop Time

Where's this book been?
by Matt Haig | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/16/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 16, 2019
I found this Canadian-edition softcover in this Little Free Library in Nashua NH and thought it sounded fun. It's about a man who's managed to live for centuries while avoiding detection - by following the main rule of NOT falling in love. But now he wants a normal life, if only he can manage it...

The story shifts between past and present, with the historical scenes in which the protagonist interacts with fascinating characters being my favorite part of the story. But I did appreciate the ways in which the long-lived characters have to struggle with the fears of being hunted (or, in more modern times, experimented upon) vs. attempting to live their lives fully. There are some dramatic twists near the end based on cascades of secrecy and deliberate misinformation, some by our hero and some by People With An Agenda. All in all, an intriguing twist on the immortality concept.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Bavaria German Restaurant in Hooksett, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, October 05, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (10/5/2019 UTC) at Bavaria German Restaurant in Hooksett, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in or near the restaurant while stopping by for dinner; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Tick Tock release challenge. ***