Lonesome Dove

Take me home!
by Larry McMurtry | Westerns |
ISBN: 9781439195260 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/21/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 21, 2019
I got this softcover at Barnes and Noble, for another release copy. It's the 25th-anniversary edition (as of 2010), with a new preface by the author. It's the book on which the marvelous 1989 mini-series was based.

I'd read and enjoyed the book years ago, after I first saw the mini-series, and found both video and book version wonderful. (In fact the mini-series is easily one of the best and most faithful adaptations of a book to screen that I've encountered, with a cast - especially Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall - that's simply perfect.)

The story centers on two aging former Texas Rangers, Gus McCrae and Woodrow F. Call, who decide to take on a new adventure: leading a herd of cattle to the still-unsettled Montana territory. Along the way their paths cross those of a former sheriff seeking his runaway wife, a vicious and dangerous renegade, a weak-willed old friend, a beautiful young whore, an old flame, and many more.

The characters are memorable, their struggles fierce and their triumphs all too few, but it's a wonderful and involving story that touches on many different aspects of the Old West (including some events and characters based on historical ones). Recommended!

[There's a TV Tropes page for the book and the mini-series.]

Released 6 mos ago (9/2/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Revive Recovery Center in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library in front of the Revive center; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 You're Such an Animal release challenge. ***