Murder in the Mystery Suite

Where's this book been?
by Ellery Adams | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/30/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, September 30, 2019
I got this paperback at Barnes and Noble today, for another release copy - and because the book's an upcoming selection for my monthly book group.

I really enjoyed this one, not least because of all the lavish details of the book-themed resort, the luscious meals, and the delightful "come as your favorite fictional detective" themed weekend. I also found the introduction of the whole secret-guardian-of-very-special-books bit to be effective, if unlikely; wouldn't it be nice if such a thing really existed? And I had to laugh at some of the revelations, such as the special "interrogation room" which is described to Jane as being deliberately designed to suggest Very Nasty Things Indeed as a psychological ploy: "Feng shui meets the Spanish Inquisition". (Since these are the good guys, they seldom use it, and when they do they rely on the atmosphere to nudge the captives to talk; actual torture is not included, though there do seem to be staff members with a deep knowledge of pharmaceuticals...)

There is the dawn of a possible romance, which I was more aware of having read the later books in the series, but here it's presented in a believable fashion, not too overwhelming. And Jane, level-headed businesswoman that she is, can acknowledge her attraction without being too distracted from her many responsibilities.

If she and her staff are a bit too good to be true, well, sometimes that's what I want in a novel!

[The series continues with Murder in the Paperback Parlor.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at MC Square (formerly Carriage Depot) in Amherst, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 14, 2020

Released 6 days ago (2/14/2020 UTC) at MC Square (formerly Carriage Depot) in Amherst, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on a chair outside the bakery on this clear but cold day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]