I Survived The Great Molasses Flood, 1919 (I Survived #19)

Take me home!
by Lauren Tarshis | Children's Books | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/3/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, September 03, 2019
I got this softcover at Barnes and Noble. I've enjoyed other books in the "I Survived..." series, and I'd read a fascinating account of the molasses flood some time back (Dark Tide by Stephen Puleo; released that copy near the site of the disaster).

As with the other books in the series, this one inserts fictional characters into the story, while including loads of historical details. (There's bonus material at the end with photos from the actual events.) Here, the story centers on young Carmen, who came to the US with her father leaving her beloved grandmother behind; there are notes about the lives of immigrants in Boston's North End, and a charming surprise at the end of the story. In between, though, there's the very scary and gritty event in which the huge vat of molasses bursts, sending metal shrapnel and a flood of sticky goo through the area...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 202 Lowell St. in Arlington, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, October 02, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (10/2/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, 202 Lowell St. in Arlington, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in this Little Free Library on this very rainy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 You're Such an Animal release challenge, for the embedded "ass" in the title. ***

*** Released for the 2019 Tick Tock release challenge. ***