The Last One

Where's this book been?
by Alexandra Oliva | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9781101965085 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/26/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, September 26, 2019
I got this hardcover at Barnes and Noble, for yet another release copy of this intriguing book. (I really enjoyed the audiobook version.)

The premise: a devastating plague strikes the world just as a new reality-TV show gets underway, with the competitors and the crew established in a remote wilderness and unaware of what's going on outside. One competitor, dubbed "Zoo" because of her job working with animals, is the main viewpoint character - and from her point of view she's continuing to play the game, in the face of prolonged illness, disorientation, highly realistic "special effects" - or so she tells herself... The story opens with a third-person narration that makes it clear what's really going on, but it alternates with Zoo's version of events, making a lot of tension as she eventually begins to work out what's real, even though she desperately doesn't want to believe it.

The story unfolds in flashbacks, with lots of entertaining segments about the making of reality shows, with the staged tasks and conflicts, carefully edited and manipulated reactions, and so forth - all too believable, from what I've read about actual TV shows. This lets us get to know the characters even though we already have an idea that few of them will survive, and adds some suspense as the contestants start to drop out.

There's a third viewpoint as well - the social-media segment, which opens with fans eager to learn more about the show before it's even aired, and which eventually turns into desperate pleas for information about the fates of the contestants left behind.

The majority of the story involves Zoo's increasingly-difficult trek out of the game-world and into whatever truth she can bring herself to accept, but there is more of a resolution here than I'd expected from the setup. Sometimes quite brutal, often more horrifying in retrospect than in the moment, with some touches of hope and even triumph - and some of heartbreak... A really good apocalyptic thriller!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Haverhill Public Library in Haverhill, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, October 12, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (10/12/2019 UTC) at Haverhill Public Library in Haverhill, Massachusetts USA

I plan to leave this book in or near the library while visiting the Merrimack Valley Halloween Book Festival. Hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Tick Tock release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by MontrealPirate at Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 09, 2019
I found this book at the Merrimack valley book fair and brought it back to Montréal, Québec. It is a quick read and I did get invested in Zoo's struggle, particularly because it is such a different way to tell a story. Everything, from the premise, characters and storytelling devices stands out. It isn't really the type of books I usually read and it lacked a bit of "oomph" towards the end. Overall I enjoyed it and was very happy to discover my first Travelling Book. I will definitely try to make this book travel further. Or maybe I'll send it to my mom and we'll see where she drops it off after reading it...