Do Fish Drink Water?

Where's this book been?
by Bill McLain | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/14/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 14, 2019
I got this book from a local Salvation Army thrift shop, for another release copy.

It's a very entertaining mix of Q&A, "factoids", and some personal anecdotes about interesting things that happened to the author due to his answer-man activities. Among my favorite bits:

From comments on elephant polo, "The most interesting rule is Rule 14, which states, 'Sugarcane or rice balls packed with molasses and rock salt shall be given to each elephant at the end of the match and a cold beer, or soft drink, to the elephant drivers, and not vice versa.'" Imagining the scenario that prompted that last bit amuses me very much!

And then there was the Dutch naval officer who, after getting some help from the author on a computer question, actually sought him out on a visit to San Francisco to thank him in person.

The book includes a number of web sites, though the fact that the list of search engines does not include Google provides an indication of the publication date (as does the comment that a search on "chocolate fudge cake recipe" only returns 4 links - I don't think any of the listed search engines would have such a scant return these days!).

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Atherton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, September 01, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (9/1/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Atherton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library at Atherton Park; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 You're Such an Animal release challenge. ***