Baking Cakes in Kigali

by Gaile Parkin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 7/20/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Saturday, July 20, 2019
Summary:
Baking Cakes in Kigali is a tale in fourteen confections, and behind each cake lies a story. As baker Angel Tungaraza busies herself with her customers’ orders, we learn about their lives: Ken Akimoto — with his penchant for partying, her best client — and Bosco, his lovesick driver; Dr. Rejoice, without whom she’d never cope with the hot flashes that send her delving into her brassiere for a handkerchief so often these days; Odile, an AIDS worker whose love life Angel has taken a keen interest in; and not forgetting young Leocadie, Modeste, and their baby boy, Beckham. Angel works her magic, solving problems for all around her; and in turn, they help her lay her own demons to rest: perhaps she can finally face the truth about the loss of her own son and daughter, and achieve a sense of peace ...
****
Read it in 2016 - those were my thoughts: A lovely novel. Had it been placed somewhere in Europe I wouldn't have found it very interesting though - but what I enjoyed most was all the background information about Rwanda, there is so much of it, and that made it a great read.

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (10/11/2019 UTC) at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Northampton UK UnConvention 2019
Wishlist surprise!
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingtravelinawing at Ullern bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Saturday, October 12, 2019
Thank you so much, ApoloniaX, and thanks for a lovely day yesterday😊📚

Journal Entry 4 by wingtravelinawing at Ullern bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Tuesday, October 15, 2019
Angle reminded me a bit of Mma Precious Ramotswe in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, helping others around her as she bake cakes in Angle's case or solve mysteries in Precious Ramotswe's case. I also found the background information about Rwanda interesting.

Journal Entry 5 by wingtravelinawing at Zapato Lounge in Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (10/14/2019 UTC) at Zapato Lounge in Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

I finished reading the book while I was waiting for the coach in Northampton, and released it in the book swap shelf at Zapato Lounge.