The Rehearsal

by Eleanor Catton | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingtigergirlnzwing of Napier, Hawkes Bay-Poverty Bay New Zealand on 7/19/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingtigergirlnzwing from Napier, Hawkes Bay-Poverty Bay New Zealand on Friday, July 19, 2019
A high-school sex scandal jolts a group of teenage girls into a new awareness of their own potency. The sudden publicity seems to turn every act into a performance and every space into a stage. But when the local drama college decides to turn the scandal into a show, the real world and the world of the theatre are forced to meet, and soon the boundaries between private and public begin to dissolve...

Journal Entry 2 by wingtigergirlnzwing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, July 19, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (7/27/2019 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

Winging its way to the winner of the Lesbian Sweepstakes Round 1. Enjoy this first novel by New Zealand's Eleanor Catton. I LOVED this novel when it came out. Really original stuff :D

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, July 29, 2019
The INTL Lesbian-themed fiction sweepstakes books keep coming! The book arrived safely on this warm day; many thanks!

Later: This one opens with a truly snarky scene of an overbearing music teacher telling a mother in no uncertain terms why she won't accept her daughter as a student - pretty awful stuff to hear in real life but quite amusing to read. The students and teacher in the music classes form part of this unusually-structured novel, which deals with coming-of-age aspects as well as the more troubling concerns about teacher/student affairs - and about gossip. (One of my favorite segments featured a group of students debating the escalating rumors about the affair, where they touched on the possibilities from complete fabrication to misinterpretation to significant abuse and back again.)

The story shifts between actual events and the dramatized version, with some interesting perspective changes (and some tricky "OK, what's really going on right now?" bits). The contrast between the student/teacher relationship and the tentative romance between two of the girls was sometimes troubling, and I admit I didn't always feel that the characters were quite believable in the way they expressed themselves (though, again, some of that was the dramatization), but it's definitely a distinctive and memorable novel.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, November 16, 2019

Released 2 wks ago (11/16/2019 UTC) at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

I'm taking this book to today's BookCrossing meetup at the Panera at Porter Square in Cambridge; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 The The Release Challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 5 by wingIddyluwing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, November 16, 2019
Picked this up at today's meeting of the Boston Bookcrossers in Cambridge. Something about the way the summary is written reminds me of Jaclyn Moriarty's Ashbury/Brookfield series (The Year of Secret Assignments, etc.), which I really enjoyed. We'll see if the comparison plans out! Also, very cool to see that this came all the way from New Zealand; I didn't notice that when I picked it up!