The Whale Rider

by Witi Ihimaera | Children's Books |
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 7/19/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, July 19, 2019
Not a bad story. I found the writing exquisitely beautiful in some places and somewhat dry in others. Also, I’m not sure why this is marketed as a children’s book. I don’t think it is particularly well-suited to kids. Overall, I just sort of had a “meh” feeling about this one, which was also my reaction to the film version from many years ago, as I recall.

Released 1 mo ago (8/20/2019 UTC) at trade, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out to BookCrosser JessicaEby as part of a trade. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingJessicaEbywing at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 23, 2019
Arrived in today's post; thanks again, ReallyBookish!

I caught part of the movie version of this story a while ago when my dad was watching it, and it got me interested in reading the book. I am looking forward to this!

Journal Entry 4 by wingJessicaEbywing at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 27, 2019
I finished reading this book today, curled up in warm blankets on a chilly, rainy afternoon.

All in all, I enjoyed this book. I thought the writing was quite lovely at times. I also thought the narrator's point of view was an interesting one (uncle of the main character). I know nothing about the Maori culture, so I found the sort of folklore-is parts of the book interesting as well. I think the main difference I noticed from what I remember of the movie was that the book seemed to have more of a supernatural element sometimes, and I liked that because I thought it fit well with the Maori legends that were incorporated into the book.

If there was one thing I could change about this book, I would add in a glossary of the Maori words/terms used throughout the book, and perhaps a pronunciation guide as well.

I am setting this book's status to available for now, as I'm not sure what to do with it yet. Thank you once again to ReallyBookish for the trade!