The Whale Rider

by Witi Ihimaera | Children's Books |
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 7/19/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, July 19, 2019
Not a bad story. I found the writing exquisitely beautiful in some places and somewhat dry in others. Also, I’m not sure why this is marketed as a children’s book. I don’t think it is particularly well-suited to kids. Overall, I just sort of had a “meh” feeling about this one, which was also my reaction to the film version from many years ago, as I recall.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Trade, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 19, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (8/20/2019 UTC) at Trade, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out to BookCrosser JessicaEby as part of a trade. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by JessicaEby at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 23, 2019
Arrived in today's post; thanks again, ReallyBookish!

I caught part of the movie version of this story a while ago when my dad was watching it, and it got me interested in reading the book. I am looking forward to this!

Journal Entry 4 by JessicaEby at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 27, 2019
I finished reading this book today, curled up in warm blankets on a chilly, rainy afternoon.

All in all, I enjoyed this book. I thought the writing was quite lovely at times. I also thought the narrator's point of view was an interesting one (uncle of the main character). I know nothing about the Maori culture, so I found the sort of folklore-ish parts of the book interesting as well. I think the main difference I noticed from what I remember of the movie was that the book seemed to have more of a supernatural element sometimes, and I liked that because I thought it fit well with the Maori legends that were incorporated into the book.

If there was one thing I could change about this book, I would add in a glossary of the Maori words/terms used throughout the book, and perhaps a pronunciation guide as well.

I am setting this book's status to available for now, as I'm not sure what to do with it yet. Thank you once again to ReallyBookish for the trade!

Journal Entry 5 by JessicaEby at Whale & Ale Pub, 1120 Victoria North in Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 07, 2020

Released 7 mos ago (2/7/2020 UTC) at Whale & Ale Pub, 1120 Victoria North in Kitchener, Ontario Canada

My husband and I tried out a new-to-us pub for dinner tonight, and while we were there I released this book! I left it in the vestibule, on the stand with the free real estate magazines.

If you've found this book, thanks for picking it up and checking out its journal! If you're new to bookcrossing, welcome. We'd love it if you'd stick around with us a while. I really hope that you enjoy both this book and the whole bookcrossing experience!

This book was released as part of the Waitangi Day Release Challenge here on BookCrossing, as well as the Waitangi Day SSM-- Happy Waitangi Day! It was also released as part of the 2020 "52 Towns in 52 Weeks" Release Challenge. Kitchener was Town #3 for me!