A Faint Cold Fear

by Karin Slaughter | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by KML of Charlotte, North Carolina USA on 4/13/2004
Journal Entry 1 by KML from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, April 13, 2004
Medical examiner Sara Linton is called to examine an apparent suicide; Sara's pregnant sister, Tess, already in the car, rides along - and is then attacked & left bleeding nearby. Matters are complicated by the 'suicide' victim's parents; his mother is a therapist who has seen Lena Adams, a former cop (now college campus security guard) who is recovering from a brutal assault herself (see 'Blindsighted' by Slaughter for more), and whose working relationship with Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver (Sara's ex-husband) is therefore strained.

It's all very dark & emotionally complicated, and I'd say it's a good-but-not-great mystery. Though I wish Sara would develop more of a backbone with her family, and resolve things with Jeffrey (one way or another) already, I'm still interested in where Slaughter is going to take this series, and look forward to the next installment.

Journal Entry 2 by KML from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, April 20, 2004
Sent to LeighBCD on 4/20/04.

Journal Entry 3 by LeighBCD on Saturday, May 22, 2004
KML... thank you so, so, so much!!! As you know, I am a big fan of Karin Slaughter and you are so kind to have sent this to me. I have some bookray books that I have to get through (that sounds as if I am suffering from a huge burden but I am not, not really!!) but I will read this once I have finished those. Thanks again for your generosity in sending me this RABCK... I really appreciate it.

Journal Entry 4 by LeighBCD on Thursday, September 23, 2004
I read this book while travelling in Australia last week and finished it on the plane somewhere between Sydney and Singapore. I really enjoyed this novel though probably not as much as the first two books. Lena is a fantastic character and her continuing battles made the novel for me. I was less entranced by the mystery than before, but I was nevertheless engrossed. Thanks so much KML for sending this to me, I thoroughly enjoyed it.