Too Much Lip

by Melissa Lucashenko | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingLadyIndigowing of Orange, New South Wales Australia on 7/11/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingLadyIndigowing from Orange, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, July 11, 2019
A dark and funny new novel from the multi-award-winning author of Mullumbimby.

Too much lip, her old problem from way back. And the older she got, the harder it seemed to get to swallow her opinions. The avalanche of bullshit in the world would drown her if she let it; the least she could do was raise her voice in anger.

Wise-cracking Kerry Salter has spent a lifetime avoiding two things – her hometown and prison. But now her Pop is dying and she’s an inch away from the lockup, so she heads south on a stolen Harley.

Kerry plans to spend twenty-four hours, tops, over the border. She quickly discovers, though, that Bundjalung country has a funny way of grabbing on to people. Old family wounds open as the Salters fight to stop the development of their beloved river. And the unexpected arrival on the scene of a good-looking dugai fella intent on loving her up only adds more trouble – but then trouble is Kerry’s middle name.

Gritty and darkly hilarious, Too Much Lip offers redemption and forgiveness where none seems possible.

About the Author

Melissa Lucashenko is a Goorie author of Bundjalung and European heritage. She has been publishing books with UQP since 1997, with her first novel, Steam Pigs, winning the Dobbie Literary Award and shortlisted for the NSW Premier’s Literary Awards and regional Commonwealth Writers’ Prize. Hard Yards (1999) was shortlisted for the Courier-Mail Book of the Year and the NSW Premier’s Literary Awards, and Mullumbimby (2013) won the Queensland Literary Award and was longlisted for the Stella Prize, the Miles Franklin Literary Award and the Kibble Literary Award. She has also written two novels for teenagers, Killing Darcy (UQP, 1998) and Too Flash (IAD Press, 2002). In 2013 Melissa won the inaugural long-form Walkley Award for her Griffith REVIEW essay ‘Sinking Below Sight: Down and Out in Brisbane and Logan’.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLadyIndigowing at Orange, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, July 11, 2019
Shortlisted for the 2019 Miles Franklin Award

Shortlisted for the 2019 Victorian Premier's Literary Awards Prize for Indigenous Writing

Too Much Lip has been shortlisted for the Stella Prize, the Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards, the NSW Premier’s Literary Awards and the Australian Book Industry Awards.

Miles Franklin Literary Award (2019)Judges' Comments

Too Much Lip is a novel of celebratory defiance. Set in Bundjalung country, this fast-paced, hard-hitting narrative confronts political corruption, poverty, intergenerational trauma and various forms of violence and abuse, with humour, wit and fury. Lucashenko’s Goorie characters wrestle with personal wounds and long-held grievances. They exist on the margins: of power, the law, small-town society and, often, personal responsibility. Yet they know the stories passed down from their grandmothers. They remain connected to Country. When Granny Ava’s Island is under threat of development the Salter mob come into their own. Country must not and cannot be taken away.

Journal Entry 3 by wingLadyIndigowing at Orange, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, July 11, 2019
ordered for the wishlist tag for jeniwren :)

Booktopia advises: "We are temporarily out of stock. More copies are on order with our supplier. Your order will be allocated from this new delivery. "

18 july - the book is ready to ship so shall be with you very soon
;)

Journal Entry 4 by wingLadyIndigowing at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 19, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (7/18/2019 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

i hope this wins the miles franklin :)

happy reading
;)

Journal Entry 5 by wingjeniwrenwing at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Monday, July 22, 2019
This book was waiting for me when I arrived home today. It feels like Christmas as I have so wanted to get my hands on a copy. I need to wait until the Miles Franklin Award winner is announced as to whether I can read this sooner or later due to my bookgroup schedule. Thanks to LadyIndigo for her generosity in granting my wish :)