I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter

by Erika L. Sánchez | Teens |
Registered by Chicvolley99 of Denver, Colorado USA on 7/8/2019
Journal Entry 1 by Chicvolley99 from Denver, Colorado USA on Monday, July 08, 2019
It can be difficult to live how your parents want you to live.

Journal Entry 2 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Saturday, September 21, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (9/21/2019 UTC) at Denver, Colorado USA

Released into the Children's / Teen Bookbox

Please enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingemmejowing at Cortland, New York USA on Friday, October 04, 2019
Taken from the bookbox. I've heard good things about this book.

Journal Entry 4 by wingemmejowing at Cortland, New York USA on Thursday, December 05, 2019
Overall, the good things I had heard about this story were true. The main characters were interesting, and it was an unusual portrait of loss and the sometimes-unhealthy coping that folks go through as they grieve. Julia is a complex person, with many competing desires and a difficult time implementing them due to both outside influences and her own caution. It did not make me miss being a teenager!

The plot and pacing felt a bit wobbly at times, as if the author wasn't quite sure where some of the twists would end up, and left old hints in rather than removing them or adjusting to lead the reader to the current set-up instead.

The very chatty, typically-YA-style of the writing and some of the character framing didn't click with me. It was understandable as Julia's voice and account of events, but didn't feel believable to me.

Journal Entry 5 by wingemmejowing at Cortland, New York USA on Friday, February 21, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (2/21/2020 UTC) at Cortland, New York USA

Added to the Wrap It Up bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by judypsu88 at Media, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, February 25, 2020
Caught in the First Sentence Wrap it Up Book Box