Nightlights

by Lorena Alvarez | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 1910620572 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 7/4/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, July 04, 2019
Well... hmm. First things first: the art is gorgeous! Just absolutely stunning. However, I was reading along and enjoying the book and then it just stopped. It didn't really seem to come to a conclusion or have a satisfying ending. Instead, it simply seemed to run out of steam. Also, I'm not really sure who the intended audience is. I did enjoy it as an adult, but there are some dark and creepy themes (and artwork) here that could certainly be scary for children. It was shelved in the children's graphic novel section at Barnes & Noble, but it would definitely not be suitable for every kid.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at a fellow bookcrosser, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 03, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (10/3/2020 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

A RABCK that I thought might be of interest to you. As always, feel free to release unread if it is not your thing. I didn't quite know what to make of this one, personally. But the artwork is breathtaking, so at least there's that! :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, October 13, 2020
The books arrived safely on this rainy day; many thanks! The style of this one reminds me of Over the Garden Wall, another tale with a mix of fanciful and creepy...

Later: Surprisingly scary after such a sweet opening! Little Sandy is not only wildly imaginative but can - perhaps - actually bring her artistic creations to life in the world of her imagination. She's also easily distracted, which causes problems for her now and then - but her biggest problem in this story has to do with the "new girl", a pale-haired girl who befriends Sandy and admires her artwork. It seems that this girl Morfie may actually be the ghost of a girl who drowned in the school fountain... but whether or not she is a ghost, her interest in Sandy takes on a dark tone pretty quickly, with Morfie insisting that Sandy draw things for her - so she can devour them!

Sandy finds a clever way to deal with the overwhelming Morfie (apparently she really WAS paying attention in class!), though it still leaves a lot unanswered - was Morfie a ghost? Was she a personification of Sandy's desire for a friend who understood her art? Just an imaginary foe in a game? And - given the last page - does Morfie still exist somewhere?

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Abington Ave in Peabody, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Released 3 wks ago (10/28/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, Abington Ave in Peabody, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in this new-to-me Little Free Library on this cool autumn day. Hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2020 Spooktacular October challenge. ***