The Meerkat Murders

by R.J. Corgan | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingmelydiawing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 7/14/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, July 14, 2019
This was written by a friend of mine, who gave me several copies for release.

Registered in Rockville, Maryland, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmelydiawing at Potbelly Sandwich Works (Carlyle Center) in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 18, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (8/18/2019 UTC) at Potbelly Sandwich Works (Carlyle Center) in Alexandria, Virginia USA

Bringing to the BCinDC meetup for my fellow BookCrossers to disperse.
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, August 19, 2019
Melydia handed everyone a copy of this book at today's meeting. It's short, so I'll see if I can't manage to read it before passing it along.

Journal Entry 4 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, August 23, 2019
As is my habit, I was thumbing through this book as I picked it up to read and I noticed this, in the acknowledgements at the end:

Many thanks to the Village of Potsdam. Its beautiful toilet gardens make it a premier destination for anyone visiting Upstate New York.

Obvious snark aside, this caught my attention because I spent four years in Potsdam while attending Clarkson University, and I have no idea what this reference is about. I had to look up the Potsdam toilet gardens on Google, where I found that they are collections of toilets being used as planters on a couple of different properties. Apparently, these began as a zoning protest, but have become something of a fixture in town. Makes me wonder what else has changed since I finished school...

Journal Entry 5 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, August 30, 2019
Kea Wright is looking for a place to lay low and recover from the tragic events that occurred during her research trip to Iceland (apparently the subject of an earlier book I didn't get a chance to read...no worries, it really isn't necessary to enjoy this book), and has joined an old friend on a research trip to study meerkats in Africa. However, instead of a peaceful and relaxing escape, Kea finds people dying around her (again) and is determined to find out who the killer is.

There is plenty of action and drama in this short book, but I think the thing that most appealed to me was the slightly off beat sense of humor. Many (most?) of the chapter titles are puns, and the characters in this book are a bunch of academic misfits who I found myself identifying with, especially their quirky jokes.

Over all, this was an entertaining read. I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to actively seek out more by this author, but if I happen to come across another book, I would certainly consider reading it.

Oh...the toilet gardens in the acknowledgements make sense now. The author has used them as inspiration and worked something like them into the story. How do they fit into a story about scientists working in Africa, you ask? Well, you'll just have to read the book to find out.

Journal Entry 6 by wingResQgeekwing at John Carlyle Square Park in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 03, 2019

Released 2 wks ago (9/3/2019 UTC) at John Carlyle Square Park in Alexandria, Virginia USA

Left on a bench on the east side of the park.

======================

DEAR FINDER,

I hope you enjoy the book!