DOCTOR ILLUMINATUS

by Martin Booth | Children's Books |
Registered by wingrainbow3wing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 7/3/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 03, 2019
Book burble: ‘I love this book’ - EOIN COLFER

DANGEROUS MAGIC – ANCIENT ENEMIES
A fantastical tale of sorcery and betrayal from a boy hidden for nearly six hundred years. Sebastian is the alchemist’s son, pursuing his father’s enemy through the centuries.
Pip and Tim can hardly believe his story. But then they themselves are caught in a web of magic and cunning, and their only hope of escape is to join Sebastian in his desperate battle against unimaginable evil.

DOCTOR ILLUMINATUS by MARTIN BOOTH (2003) | ISBN: 9780141310374 | Publisher: Puffin
Booth, Martin - Alchemist's Son series
1. Doctor Illuminatus (2003)
2. Soul Stealer (2004)

Journal Entry 2 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, July 07, 2019
As Eoin Colfer says "Frightfully real with quick-paced action." And as rainbow3 says, grippy-grabby reading and if you can put this down to get on with everyday stuff you’re doing better than me! A kind of clunkiness to the finished product, gaps in the grounding, that rated this at six but it was the ‘realness’ of this that had me popping a rating of seven on this.

By realness I wonder if both Colfer and I were referring to the clear grounding Pip and Tim had in the realities of 21st century life, so that this attempts to give an oblique look into a world of magic though a lens of scientific discovery. That’s backed up by the ease the siblings had of accessing the internet to search for more detailed information.

The story unfolds as a classic tale of good V. evil wherein the siblings initial highly sceptical regard of Sebastian is worn away by the frightening encounters they have with Pierre de Loudeac, Sebastian’s father’s enemy. An amoral alchemist whose relentless search for a method to bring life to Frankenstein like creatures he will have do his bidding in all things seems unstoppable. Together Pip, Tim and Sebastian thwart Loudeac’s current plans but yet the evil he has triggered may yet resurface.

Won’t walk past follow-up story – Soul Stealer – if I stumble across it! …In fact, checked for it in Edinburgh City Libraries catalogue so I could pop it on my library wish-list but sadly… they don’t have it. Ah, well… it may yet make it onto one of my other wish-lists as since reading this I have made mental note to look out for any Martin Booth novels while on my charity shop, book hunt’s.

Released 3 mos ago (7/16/2019 UTC) at Edinburgh Central SYH Youth Hostel in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Leaving this book here* for another reader, feel free to take it travelling. *(Foyer area, near coffee shop, small bookshelf.)

HAPPY READING, cheers rainbow3