The Singing Sands

by Josephine Tey | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 7/2/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 02, 2019
This is one of three novels I bought in the Floral Hall Cafe, Hornsea during a lovely sunny weekend away, dancing and seeing the sea . . . . They had a huge selection of used books on offer, raising funds for their Save the Floral Hall appeal.
I chose it because I love old style, pre-modern forensics detective novels, this one was first published in 1952, and have previously enjoyed The Man in the Queue featuring the same Inspector Grant.

From Google Overview: "On sick leave from Scotland Yard, Inspector Alan Grant is planning a quiet holiday with an old school chum to recover from overwork and mental fatigue. Traveling on the night train to Scotland, however, Grant stumbles upon a dead man and a cryptic poem about “the stones that walk” and “the singing sand,” which send him off on a fascinating search into the verse’s meaning and the identity of the deceased. Grant needs just this sort of casual inquiry to quiet his jangling nerves, despite his doctor’s orders. But what begins as a leisurely pastime eventually turns into a full-blown investigation that leads Grant to discover not only the key to the poem but the truth about a most diabolical murder."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 31, 2019
A good old-fashioned yarn from the 50s. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 13, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (9/13/2019 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Heading to a friend in West Yorkshire! Enjoy - or not as the case may be!

Journal Entry 4 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Thank you Nu-Knees. I too enjoyed The Man In The Queue so I'm going to hold on to this for a while.
Love the postcard. Very appropriate.