Member of the Family

by Dianne Lake | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 7/1/2019
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, July 01, 2019
Book Description:

At age 14, I became one of Charles Manson's Girls. At 17 I helped put him in prison. This is my story.

At fourteen Dianne Lake—with little more than a note in her pocket from her hippie parents granting her permission to leave them—became one of "Charlie’s girls," a devoted acolyte of cult leader Charles Manson. In this poignant and disturbing memoir of lost innocence, coercion, survival, and healing, Dianne Lake chronicles her years with Charles Manson, revealing for the first time how she became the youngest member of his Family and offering new insights into one of the twentieth century’s most notorious criminals and life as one of his "girls."

Over the course of two years, the impressionable teenager endured manipulation, psychological control, and physical abuse as the harsh realities and looming darkness of Charles Manson’s true nature revealed itself. From Spahn ranch and the group acid trips, to the Beatles’ White Album and Manson’s dangerous messiah-complex, Dianne tells the riveting story of the group’s descent into madness as she lived it.

Though she never participated in any of the group’s gruesome crimes and was purposely insulated from them, Dianne was arrested with the rest of the Manson Family, and eventually learned enough to join the prosecution’s case against them. With the help of good Samaritans, including the cop who first arrested her and later took her into his home, the courageous young woman eventually found redemption and grew up to lead an ordinary life.

While much has been written about Charles Manson, this riveting account from an actual Family member is a chilling portrait that recreates in vivid detail one of the most horrifying and fascinating chapters in modern American history.

My Review: A horrible, haunting story. Dianne seems to have made the best of her life after living with Charlie Manson's family/cult for a few years. Her testimony helped put him and some of his follower's away. It's a story that stays with you since it happened to a 14 year old girl.

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, August 05, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (8/6/2019 UTC) at Woodstock, Georgia USA

Giving to my co-worker, I think she might like to read this book. Enjoy!