Uglies

Registered by mrsjones of Hamilton, Ohio USA on 7/1/2019
Journal Entry 1 by mrsjones from Hamilton, Ohio USA on Monday, July 01, 2019
My daughter loved this series. Happy to pass this on to GoryDetails as a wishlist tag. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 06, 2019
The wishlist-tag book arrived safely today; many thanks! This is one of the selections for a monthly book-group I'm in, so I'm glad to have it in hand. (The premise of Uglies reminds me of a "Twilight Zone" episode, "Number Twelve Looks Just Like You" - there's a utopian society in which young people are put through a procedure to become "Pretties", but one girl doesn't want to change...)

Later: The book group enjoyed this one, which had some interesting twists. Unlike the "Twilight Zone" story, the protagonist of Uglies, Tally, *does* want the change; it's her close friend who doesn't want it, and whose actions eventually result in Tally learning some unpleasant truths about the society she lives in. It certainly includes some powerful scenes and some fascinating technology - but it's the personal stories here that add the impact.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series, with some interesting tidbits, but do beware of spoilers.]

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Fitch Bridge Rd in Groton, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (7/10/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Fitch Bridge Rd in Groton, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***